I’ve been dreading this for at least 6 months now.
I got a really good deal on a Schacht Ladybug in January and I took the plunge. I love the wheel, but this meant that I had to think about keeping two wheels. I really wanted to! But I live in a small townhouse, and my “design studio” (aka guest room) and living room is now full of yarns and fabrics, I just can’t justify having 2 wheels at this point of my life.
So! With a heavy heart, here is my beloved Kiwi. I never named it. I guess it makes it easier.
I bought the wheel around May 2012, and loved it ever since. I cleaned it regularly with wood conditioner, and it works beautifully. I bought it unfinished, stained and finished all the parts, and everything works. I almost exclusively used the hi-speed whorl on mine but I have both regular and hi-speed whorls in here.
-Ashford Kiwi Wheel ORIGINAL (so the cutie Kiwi bird is engraved on the right treadle)
-Standard Whorl & Flyer & Drive band
-5 Standard Bobbins (3 finished; 2 unfinished)
-High Speed Adapter Kit (whorl & drive band)
-Lazy Kate (free standing fits 2 bobbins)
-Price: $350 + shipping within U.S. If you’re in Southern California area, we can meet up and save on shipping.
Few months ago at Torrance Fiber Festival, I purchased this beautiful targheetop from Abstract Fiber, in “Tulip” colorway. It actually reminds me of a parrot than tulips!
The colors were so bright and beautiful, but they were such primary colors that it kind of scared me. The last thing I wanted was a self-striping yarn. So, I decided to make this into a 4-ply yarn, while making sure I blend the colors as much as possible. First 2 bobbins were straight from the top, I just divided it into thin strips and drafted a little bit before spinning in 14:1 ratio.
For the other 2 bobbins, I carded the different colors.
They looked so pretty in the box, and I really really enjoyed spinning it this way. I’m really going to try to pick more crazy color tops from now on. It’s really fun watching all the different colors getting wound onto the bobbins.
The end product is this:
With 4-ply, the colors were blended in really well, creating yarn with more consistent colors. It’s sportweight, perfect for an accessory item. I can’t wait for it to become something.
Today 7/14 is Day 16 of Tour de Fleece! (And de France too but who cares).
I have this lovely 100% merino 100g skein to report. :)
Very soft, fluffy, such a lovely handspun. I’m so!!! excited about how it’s going to be used.
As today (7/8) is a rest day, I thought I’d do a quick report in the progress.
The red Louet corriedale is finished, plied, washed, then caked ready-to-use. I n-plied it on the same wheel that it was spun on, Ashford Traditional. Very smooth! The left skein is what I did during the first wk of Tour de Fleece. The left is what I spun on Kiwi and then n-plied around December or January this year so it’s kind of interesting to see my improved spinning and plying skills. :)
My merino is still doing well, still on the 3rd bobbin. After this I’m going to start plying.
For the YarnChefSpin Merino/Bamboo blend that I finished plying in the beginning of the TdF (to free up the bobbins) is now being knitted up in a shawl! I also spun this last year-ish so I’m seeing more thick and thin spots, especially since this is a 2-ply.
I dyed up some rovings a couple of days ago and played with some label designs yesterday. I just did it to see if I can give to friends as gifts but it gave me enough confidence to consider selling them. Hmmm.
Well it is a rest day but I don’t think ill rest haha. Just keep this momentum going!